The Democrat

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Futuristik Boyz Feature Story


A feature article written by Harmonie Jean-Charland on Push Keys artist's Futuristik Boyz. After the jump you'll find two interesting articles on each member (Kay-R & Klaviar)

KAY-R'S ARTICLE

The 26-year-old Recording artist Kay-R (Melix A. Bonilla) refers to hip-hop as religion, “ you have to truly believe in hip-hop in order to feel and love it.” After your first listen to his unique sound, you will find yourself a faithful member of Kay-R’s lyrical congregation.

Many may mistake Kay-R’s level of dedication, commitment, and sometimes-serious demeanor as being unapproachable, but this is only the result of a hungry up and coming hip-hop artist prepared to tackle all obstacles in order to make it to the top. Here is a guy who might be harsh with words but sees the power of poetry as social action and an antidote to self-pity.

Kay-R is one of two members of Push Keys Productions protégés the Futuristik Boyz. His gully and raw sound compliments partner Klaviar’s more poetic lyrical delivery and frequent R&B ballads. Both artists approach to hip-hop are entirely different, but when meshed together produce an electric new breed of hip-hop no true hip-hop head can ignore.

Born and raised in the predominately Hispanic inner city community of Lawrence Mass, Kay-R is no stranger to the many struggles that plague inner city residents. The biggest challenge that the young new father has overcame and what catapulted the beginning of his music career was the separation of his parents.

“ After the separation of my parents I was faced with a deep depression but overcame it through music. Becoming an artist made me realize life is not just about me and my personal struggles, it’s so much bigger than that. Its funny, I was just telling my brother the other day we are living life how we want so we can’t blame nobody but ourselves when shit hits the fan. I use the good and bad parts of my life as a platform for my lyrics. My music is an exact reflection of what I’m going through, my hopes, dreams, and personal desires. I put my business out there on every record so there is no miscommunication between me and the listener.” said Kay-R.

As a child Kay-R grew up listening to the sounds of Madonna, Prince, Michael Jackson, and other 80’s pop artist his parents frequently played on the stereo. It was not until he heard the epic story of Slick Rick’s Mona Lisa that he had his first experience with hip-hop. “ That song was witty, clever and a great story. He opened my ears as well as my mind. It was at that moment my relationship with hip-hop began.” he said.

Kay-R and the Futuristik Boyz are an up and coming force to be reckoned within hip-hop. The amount of talent and drive these young men have and their diverse sound is the perfect recipe for true hip-hop moguls in the making. In the words of Kay-R himself “ sit back and enjoy the ride as the Futuristik Boyz change the game of hip-hop as we know it."

KLAVIAR'S ARTICLE

Klaviar (Dargellis Hernandez) is a hip-hop artist out of Lawrence Mass, who has no boundaries when it comes to his musical creation and lyrical delivery. He is that of a fearless MC who experiments with various sounds and music genres.

“Honestly you never know what I’m going to come up with next. It could be hip-hop, R&B, or maybe even alternative rock. I dive into all different genres because I feel as though I still haven’t found my sound, that sound that separates me from everyone else.” said Klaviar.

His diversity and lack of inhibition proves to play in his favor as he has been dominating the music scene in his city steadily since the age of 17.

Klaviar is the second member of Push Keys Productions newest protégées the Futuristik Boyz. His seductive lyrical delivery and emotion filled ballads are complete opposite to partner Kay-R’s more rough around the edges and gully tone. This contrast between the two artists is what makes them so pleasing to the ear and keeps the listener pleading for more.

Klaviar first began his career making dance hall music. “ My first project was my dancehall mixtape Lets Get It Vol. 1. I was 17 then. At that time dancehall was big in Lawrence everywhere really, so that’s how I started getting recognition around my city.” he said.

His relationships with women are some of the key elements behind Klaviar’s sometimes-provocative lyrics. A shy and reserved type of guy in person, in song Klaviar embodies an unexpected mysterious and sexy persona.

In one of the Futuristik Boyz most recent singles Addict Her Klaviar uses his provoking lyrics to reference his love affair with smoking marijuana or Mary Jane, with steamy lyrics such as “when I lick you up and down turn you on, fogging up my tinted windows, while I hit it to the morning.”

Klaviar credits a large portion of his success to his mother who he says is his biggest supporter. “ One of my biggest issues is that I give up easily. My mother has supported me from the beginning, she believed in my talent more than I did. Even if I wanted to quit she wouldn’t let me.”

Although he always enjoyed creating music, Klaviar did not entirely decide he wanted a career in the industry until after he hooked up local producer/engineer Wizz Dakota. “Wizz engineered my first and second mixtape. Just the way he mixed my songs, the way he made me sound, and the feedback we got from our music made me want to make more music. I decided this is what I want to do with the rest of my life, and I want Wizz right there with me, no one understands my sound like he does.”he said.

Klaviar’s sound is one that can not be replicated and is an essential piece to the up and coming fresh new twist in hip-hop known as the Futuristik Boyz!


No comments: